Today Duncan and I started to brew a Amber Ale with Galaxy Hops, but I think we may have lost a bag of grain between the LHBS and my house. I’m not sure if it was left at the shop but Duncan and I will figure that out later. In the mean time this has turned out to become a 10g batch of Galaxy Session Ale.
I am very pleased with how the whole brew day went, especially the fly sparge! Duncan and I were having issues with channeling before and I have seen on youtube people using colanders for the sparge to disperse the water more evenly without causing channeling and as you can see in the photos with the help of a clamp it works very well!
Aside from not hitting a single number intended due to the missing malt the efficiency worked out to around 85-90% apparently so it’s starting to look like I am heading in the right direction. Now I need to start fine tuning the process and hit those numbers!! Do the math and then go back and do it again.
All in all, a very good brew session and I am learning a lot about brewers salts, how they effect the different aspects of the beer. I’m also seeing massive jumps in my own comfort as a brewer plus I got to spend the day brewing with Duncan
-I was a little off on the efficiency, here is a quote from Duncan: “with the grain bill as it was our efficiency was 48% 1.036OG and 35 IBU’s… although recalculated with half the grains and we had a 93% brewhouse efficiency.”