Brewing an American Pale Ale, and some new brew toys!
It’s a busy week at my work with a golf tournament on the go, so I only have today as a free day and I made the most of it! Got the lawn mowed and then straight into setting up for brewing and adjusting the new toys.
Today I brewed an American Pale Ale (This is the Fingerprint Beer, but I was unable to brew it for the meeting) and I will be using the March Pump 809 with cam lock fittings, and I also have the SS BrewTech Sparge Arm for the mash tun. The big delay for getting the pump going has been the hose clamps and I finally got them and now all hoses have a clamp. Safety First!
First order of business was to get the hose’s all cut to proper length and put the Cam lock fittings on with a hose clamp. I put a clamp on every end because I do not want to run the risk of blowing a line while recirculating or moving hot liquor/wort in general. The clamps I’m using have a butterfly handle and are very quick to adjust and remove and have rounded edges as to not dig in or cut into silicone tubing.
The setup for this was really quick, the pre measured grain bill just needed to be crushed so while I was crushing the malt I had the full volume of liquor for the day in the kettle heating to strike temp which was 158°f which will drop down to around 150°f after I add the grist. I nailed the strike temp and after doughing in the mash was sitting at 150.8°f and after a 90 minute mash (I mowed the lawn while mashing) the temp was at 149.8, so far so good!
With the Sparge Arm I decided to vorlaugh with it, and it worked great and then I adjusted the hoses and got the sparge water running through it at 170°f with a flow restriction set to about 1/4 gallon per minute. The sparge head can be adjusted on the fly to allow more or less flow depending on what you are looking for and there is also a couple larger restriction gaskets to choose from the pack. The sparge arm was very quick and simple to setup/adjust and then clean at the end of the day. Definitely a solid add on to have with the mash tun, now I can return the stainless colander to my kitchen ha ha.
The boil was also very smooth with two hop additions, The first at 60 minutes with 15 grams of Magnum and then at the 15 minute mark I added 28 grams of Cascade. The wort before the hops were added smelled like caramel and biscuits with a sweetness to it, it was really nice and then the cascades really burst with aroma when they were added. I also added 5g of Irish Moss at the 15 minute addition, this is the only other addition I made other then a Camden tablet to treat the brewing water used today and then I dropped the immersion coil into the kettle to sanitize and get ready for cooling.
With the pump I did a whirlpool for the last 10 minutes in an effort to try to clear the wort and settle out some of the hops, and it didn’t go too bad. Not too well either, but it settle out quite a bit of the debris and the fermenter does not have a whole lot of hop debris or hot break so I definitely see the benefits already! Another benefit to the whirlpool is for the cooling also. It took me just under 30 minutes to cool the wort down with the whirlpool going today, I’m pretty sure I can get it a bit lower with some practice but so far this is good, and then the cooling water is reserved for cleaning the equipment and then watering the garden/grass when it has cooled down.
After cooling I pumped the wort into the fermenter and then into the fermentation box set to 17°c and I pitched a pack of Safale S-05 Yeast.
And now we wait while the yeast does the dirty work…..