Fermentation Chamber Update
- InkBird ITC 310T Temp Controller (Courtesy of InkBird www.InkBird.com)
- Interior mostly insulated
- Major seams have been sealed
- Test run underway
So once I stripped the cabinet down to it’s frame and rebuilt the shell in my brew cave I cut the foam and dry fit everything to make sure I was getting the best coverage with what I had for insulation. I never thought to ask Duncan about a tool for cutting the Styrofoam so I used a small hand saw and bread knife to cut and shape the pieces as I was fitting them together tightly. To glue the insulation onto the sheathing I picked up a tube of PL300 Contractors Adhesive which is designed for use with the insulation foam and Duncan came downstairs to help glue the panels into the cabinet and mount the door piece, and we made quick work of it. The glue set’s in about an hour and then is fully cured in 12 hours so once we had the door panel in place we shut the door and screwed it shut. The door panel insulation was pressed against the interior insulation so I left it for a couple days to cure completely before opening. Now I will have to go back with some expanding foam and fill in a few gaps and cover some seams with HVAC Tape and really seal it up. It doesn’t have many air leaks that I can feel so that will not take long.
InkBird has sent a ITC-310T Programmable Outlet Thermostat to use with this project, Thank you very much! I will be posting a full product review for this controller down the road. This model controller is duel relay heating/cooling as well as having 6 programmable temperatures and periods of time so it will be great for lagering as well as holding a stable range for anything else. I really like these temperature controllers (ITC-308 & ITC-310T) because of the simple user interface and that they are plug and play. Right out of the box I just need to set the base line parameters and it’s ready to go. But I will be posting a full review of this controller once I have put it to work. This afternoon Duncan helped to re wire the A/C to bypass the rheostat so the InkBird controller could control the compressor and this allows the fan to continue to circulate air in the cabinet and the compressor is not surging every time it fires up. As far as the wiring go’s I strongly recommend you have a trained professional do this, because there are many things that could go wrong and I would not want anyone to get injured attempting to modify or alter a A/C Unit for this application. That being said, the connection’s are all properly crimped and safely tucked away in the unit, we only removed the rheostat controller and nothing else, so the unit is still grounded and all the safety’s will work as they should.
Currently the ferment chamber is running and I have 5 kegs of beer in to help do a test run of the controller and cabinet. The ferment compressor is having no problem holding temp, and currently is set to 1°c and is bouncing between – 0.8°c to 3.5°c and as the kegs are all cooling it is starting to level out.